Chelsea, Quebec sewage registry information

avatar

by admin on May 6, 2011

First drinking water. Now a vote on sewage.

Old Chelsea, Quebec residents, business owners and developers can vote on the first step of the proposed municipal wastewater treatment system May 12.

This vote does not determine whether the project moves forward.

Rather, it’s a vote on borrowing $748,000 in professional fees (engineers and researchers, for example) to draw up confirmed costs. Once the dollar figure is confirmed, Old Chelsea residents will get another vote at a future date.

If anyone is opposed to this project, they can sign the registry at Town Hall on May 12 between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. The bylaw is available for viewing between now and May 11 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

You do not need to sign anything if you are in favour of the wastewater treatment system.

If 23 people sign the registry, it will be up to council on whether to take the project to a referendum.

Only Old Chelsea residents, business owners and developers are eligible to vote because they will be directly paying for sewage hook-up. They will pay 75 per cent of the costs, while the rest of the population will pay 25 per cent.

Mayor Caryl Green has previously said that if residents oppose this bylaw, council will likely scrap the sewage project altogether.

On May 5, these residents, business owners and developers had the chance to sign a registry for a municipal potable water system.

Combined, the sewage and water project costs an estimated $14.4 million. There’s $2.4 million in provincial and federal grants for the wastewater portion.

For more information, visit www.chelsea.ca.

Currently, the website does not list the residents and business owners eligible to vote. According to communications officer Melanie Rousseau, it’s almost the same addresses as the vote on municipal water:

* Old Chelsea Road: Number 15 to 254

* Padden Road: Number 5 to 24

* Scott Road: Number 6 to 68

* 3 Versant sud Road

* 11 Notch Road

* Hendrick Farm owners

* Chelsea Creek developer

* Meredith landowners

* Le Nordik Spa

* West Quebec School Board-owned land (near Chelsea Elementary School)