Some ideas for better governance for Chelsea:
Honesty and frugality in taxing and spending; the goal should be to freeze or reduce tax rates for the next four years. This also includes:
- openness in all aspects of government, and declaration of all debts of the municipality;
- an end to secret council meetings, except where personnel matters are discussed;
- all contracts and contract amendments made available online and in the library;
- all job descriptions and salary ranges published;
- council agendas posted a week in advance, and minutes posted online within 10 days.
A forensic audit and judicial inquiry by the Charbonneau Commission into all Meredith Centre contracts and expenditures, including:
- an independent engineering review of all sewer contracts – existing and proposed .
Development costs to be borne by developers, including:
- encouragement of best available technology for small-scale, self-contained local sewer and water systems.
Adopt the Swiss model of governance. This would include:
- any borrowing bylaw over 500k or major development proposal (10 plus homes) to be posted two months in advance of council consideration, and subjected to a public referendum if 50 taxpayers so request.
Ruthless with bureaucracies, but gentle and respectful with our employees.