Passenger in critical condition after stolen car flips near Wakefield, Quebec


by Trevor Greenway on November 4, 2010

This is all that is left of the stolen Honda Accord that flipped near Wakefield, Quebec

This is all that is left of the stolen Honda Accord that flipped near Wakefield, Quebec

An 18-year-old man is in critical condition in Montreal, after the stolen car in which he was riding went out of control during a police pursuit just south of Eco Dale Road  near Wakefield, Quebec on Hwy 105 on Oct. 29.

The driver of the stolen Honda Accord, 18-year-old Philip Sabourin, was also taken to the Hull hospital for minor injuries, but was later released. He appeared in court Nov. 1 to face charges of possessing a stolen vehicle, failing to stop for a police officer, careless driving causing injury and two counts of breaching his probation conditions.

MRC des Collines Spokesperson Martin Fournel said more serious charges will follow if the unidentified passenger dies. Fournel said doctors expect the man to live, but he likely has brain damage.

The crash occurred at about 7:30 a.m. Oct. 29 after a police clocked Sabourin travelling 118 km/h in a 90-km/h zone and gave pursuit. The driver refused to stop and eventually lost control of the car before it flipped a few times just north of Ryan’s Garage in Alcove. Police said the vehicle was a write-off.

“The car lost control, the pavement was a wee bit wet,” said Fournel. “We believe the passenger was not wearing his seatbelt.”

The car was stolen sometime between Oct. 28 and Oct. 29 in Ottawa, said Fournel, and it was fitted with a stolen license plate.

It’s believed the two men were involved in the theft of cans of pop from a Low convenience store as well as apples and gas at the Esso gas station in Kazabazua.

Both men, who have no fixed address, are known to police. Sabourin was in court the day before the accident Oct. 28, where he pleaded guilty to possession of stolen goods, theft over $5,000, theft under $5,000, breech of probation, criminal harassment and possession of drugs.

Sabourin was ordered to spend three months under house arrest, but never showed up at the designated residence. Sabourin is in police custody and will return to court Nov. 15.