Sewage system vote in Chelsea, Quebec

avatar

by admin on May 2, 2011

Old Chelsea residents can vote on the first step of the municipal water project on Thursday, May 5.

This vote does not give council the green light for building the whole system. Instead, it could permit the municipality to borrow $156,000 for engineers to draw up infrastructure costs.

Residents who oppose the project can sign the registry at the municipal building on Old Chelsea Road between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. on May 5. So if you’re in favour of the project, don’t bother heading to Town Hall.

If 20 residents sign the registry, it will be up to council to decide whether to hold a referendum or scrap the project altogether. The results will be announced the same night the registry closes.

Only the roughly 80 to 100 Old Chelsea residents can vote because they will be directly hooking up to the infrastructure. That means they will pay for 75 per cent of the estimated $7.5-million water system. The rest of the Chelsea population will pay the remaining 25 per cent.

Developers can sign a separate registry for borrowing bylaws towards water infrastructure. This includes the owners of Hendrick Farm, Meredith land, Le Nordik, the Chelsea Creek development and a patch of land near Chelsea Elementary School owned by the West Quebec School Board. The separate bylaw for the “non-constructed” sector will enable the municipality to borrow $522,000 in professional fees for that area. If five people sign the registry, then council makes the referendum-or-project-shutdown decision.

The borrowing bylaws for the non-built and built sector (bylaw no. 781-11 and 782-11, respectively) can be consulted at Town Hall from now until Wednesday, May 4, between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Old Chelsea residents will be able to vote on a similar borrowing bylaw for sewage infrastructure, worth $748,000, at a later date.

The sewage and water project costs an estimated $14.4 million.

For more information, visit www.chelsea.ca.