top of page
  • Hunter Cresswell

Cantley's oldest church demolished

By Stuart Benson


One of the oldest churches in the Outaouais, St. Andrew’s United Church in Cantley, was demolished May 26 upsetting many residents passionate about their municipality’s heritage.


St. Andrew’s, built in 1876 when James McClelland II donated a lot on the northwest corner of his farm to build the church, was one of the 20 oldest churches in the area and a landmark in Cantley for nearly 150 years.


The only evidence at the site of St. Andrew’s United Church in Cantley is this hole in the ground where the church stood for nearly 150 years. Stuart Benson photo

The Mayor of Cantle